Common Q & A
Just What Exactly Does a Doula DO?
Does Medical Insurance Cover Doula Services?
Some insurance companies will reimburse for doula services, lactation support, or childbirth classes if you can demonstrate the savings and benefits derived from using these services.
It is important to discuss these options with your insurance company.
Why Do Rates for Doula Services Vary?
While all birth doulas assist with helping you achieve your ideal birth, many have other specialties such as placenta encapsulation, belly casting, massage therapy, or lactation support services.
Often, we offer these extra services as part of a package to simplify things and offer you a unique and individualized experience. Most doulas limit the number of clients they work with per month in order to ensure availability, and certified doulas spend hundreds of dollars on staying current with knowledge and certification.
All of these factors, plus others, effect doula fees. Rest assured, our first priority is the health and well-being of the families we support!
Can I Buy Gift Certificates for Services?
Yes! Gift certificates are a great way to offer support when you cannot be hands-on, and in person. Let us assist with birth doula care, postpartum care, lactation consultations or classes. Simply email or call for more information!
What Are Additional Benefits of Working With a Doula?
- 50% reduction in cesarean birth
- 30% reduction in requests for pain medication
- 60% fewer requests for epidural anesthesia
- 25% decrease in the length of labor
- 30% decrease in use of Pitocin
- Reduction of medical cost
- Increased breastfeeding success
- Greater overall satisfaction in the birthing process
- Less incidence of postpartum depression
- Greater ease in bonding with baby
- Greater sense of control over one's own body